Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Darkness

I feel the darkness descending on me. It's been away for a long, long, time, but now I think I'll allow it to visit for a bit. I'm in need of a bit of introspection. It fuels my creative energies. Like Hemingway. Not to say that I'm really like Hemingway. Just dark right now like he was. I've been shelving my negative thoughts at the advice of the positive minded gurus I listen to on the radio. Sometimes you just have to let the sadness in. This is a sad world and I've witnessed more than my share of sadness. Not in my personal life per se, but in the lives of others that have touched me.

Since I started working for hospice 16 years ago, I've kept a journal of all the patients I've cared for. I finally stopped adding to the journal, there were just too many deaths, but last night I looked through it. All those faces came back to me in an instant. They haven't been put as far away as I thought. All that pain and suffering.

No comments: