Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Paget's Disease of the Breast Update #2

I hope my little posts are giving some of you hope out there. Here's my latest update. It's been about a year and a half since my surgery for Paget's Disease of the Nipple. I've recuperated completely. I go in every 6 months for mammograms, blood tests, and a visit with the oncologist. I've graduated. My next visit is with the nurse practitioner. No problems so far.

I did just have a breast reduction done on my right breast so my breasts would be symmetrical. I debated about doing it, but finally decided to. I knew it would bother me  that one breast was much larger than the other for the rest of my life. It made it hard to get a bra to fit well, and I was always self-conscious about it showing when I was dressed. So, my insurance covered the surgery and I did it. 2 weeks ago. There was very little discomfort and I only took pain pills for 3 days, then stopped so I could drive. I'm still supposed to take it easy, but I'm back to all social activities. The plastic surgeon is even more careful than the original surgeon was. She doesn't want her great surgery messed up, so I'll do as she says. I'm VERY glad I did it. I walked out in a tank top this morning and my husband said, "Wow. They really did a good job". That's good enough for me.

So ladies, vanity is fine. It's hard to go through a cancer diagnosis and anything you need to do to feel better about yourself is worth it as long as it isn't going to further damage your health in any way.

No comments: