Sunday, July 24, 2011

Boomers and Jerry Springer: The Opera

I bought tickets to the Chance Theater at a silent auction for the last three plays in the 2011 season. The first one was JERRY SPRINGER: THE OPERA. I enlisted the hubby to go, and asked Tom and Amy if they would like to go, too. Amy said yes so I got two more ticket to the Sunday matinee. We planned to meet Scott and Georgia, our friends and honorary producers of the play for dinner following.

I, having watched a Jerry Springer show or two in my lifetime, kind of knew what to expect...or thought I knew. Amy and I sat next to each other, and the guys sat next to each other. It's sort of a boomer thing. Don't ask. Anyway, the show started out in typical Jerry Springer fashion. The air was blue with foul language. Dysfunctional folks were on stage. The first skits were the "I have a secret" type. There was the usual "I want to be a pole dancer", "I'm having an affair with your best friend AND with a transexual at the same time, but I still love you and want us to be together", but the final skit was a little over the top. A handsome young man and a pretty young woman, very obviously in love, come out and the handsome young man reveals his secret. It seems he wants to be the "BABY" in the relationship...literally. He wants to suck on a pacifier, wear diapers, poop his pants, and have them changed by his fiance. EWWWW! Up until now, Amy and I are yucking it up, finding the whole thing pretty funny. It was then I noticed "hubby" and Tom weren't laughing very much. Intermission came and I found out just how much they were offended.

I don't know about me. I suppose I should have been more offended than I was. It seems as I get older, I'm less offended than when I was younger. I thought it was a hoot. Oh well. What do I know.

Scott and Georgia met us for dinner, having already seen the play twice. They greeted us with, "Are you guys still speaking to us?"

No comments: