Monday, August 2, 2010

NO WINING...Nurse Story

THE LIONESS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE STORY, BUT SHE SURE IS BEAUTIFUL EVEN AFTER HAVING JUST EATEN A WART HOG. I TOOK THE PICTURE!
Millie was ninety-five years old and on Hospice for end stage cardiac disease. She and her daughter, Dena, lived together in Millie’s home. Millie was weak and fatigued, but didn’t require a lot of care when she first came on service. She was mentally very alert and I enjoyed my visits with her immensely.


We’d discussed her smoking when she’d first been admitted to the hospice program. She’d tried to quit over the years and she and her doctor had agreed that there wasn’t much point in quitting now when she was at the end of her life. My opinion was the same, and I let her know that. Dena didn’t want her to smoke in the house, so she’d made a little area in the garage for Millie to go to when she wanted to smoke. Millie went out a few times in the day and evening to have a cigarette.

One day, shortly after I’d arrived for the visit, Dena walked in from the garage carrying a wine glass. She said, “Mother, how many times do I have to ask you to bring your wine glasses back into the house?”

At this, Millie’s head whipped around and she looked guiltily at me. “I like to have a glass or two of wine in the evening, is that all right?” she asked.

I smiled and patted her hand. “I like a glass of wine in the evening, too. If it’s okay with your doctor, it’s okay with me.”

Millie breathed a sigh of relief. “Oh, I’m so glad you don’t think badly of me. What kind of wine do you like?”

“Oh, my favorite is chardonnay.”

“That’s my favorite, too!” she said, beaming. “Would you like a glass?”

I chuckled at this and said, “Not right now, Millie. I’m working and can’t drink on the job. Thank you for offering, though.”

She smiled, too, and said, “Oh good, because I would have been really worried if you’d said yes.”

1 comment:

Olga said...

LOL...Cute story!