Saturday, December 29, 2012

Les Miserables: The Boomer's Choice Award




     Christmas Day, after the family had gone, the dishes were washed, and the gift boxes and trash taken out, Rex and I decided to go to the movies. We wanted to see something funny and entertaining so we chose THIS IS 40. It was funny and entertaining, but it disturbed both of us as well. The air was blue with foul language. The f... and d... words spewed forth throughout the movie. The Director, Judd Apatow, cast his wife and two young daughters in the film. I was so surprised at some of the lines he had the women and girls in his life saying. There were parts of the film that were very funny without being over the top vulgar. The entire film could have been done that way and would have reached a much wider audience. It leaves me wondering who the audience is Hollywood is trying to reach. It certainly isn’t us baby boomers. We’ve been around long enough to have heard every foul word there is, learned about every depraved thing in the world, and we truly don’t want to be slapped in the face with it any longer. We know that life is a lot better if you keep it clean.
     Yesterday I went to see Les Miserables with my sister-in-law and Patty, our friend from Finland. What a difference! Yes, there was depravity, prostitution, sex, violence, but most of it was left to our imaginations. There was no foul language in the film. The message that came across was hopeful and restored faith in mankind. Love truly conquers all and it is through loving that people are able to change. The theater was packed with baby boomers and the showings have sold out every day since the movie opened on Christmas Day.
     Les Miserables is the number 1 movie this week on Fandango. Django Unchained is number 2. This is 40 isn’t on there, but Parental Guidance is. I haven’t seen that yet, but I plan to unless I read reviews saying is it vulgar and full of foul language.
     I expect Django Unchained will be an over the top movie. It’s a Quentin Tarantino movie. You know what you’re going to get with him.
     When I go see a movie that I think is going to be a funny family comedy, I don’t want little girls and wives cursing every other word.
     And what’s wrong with Hollywood? Have they just written us boomers off? Don’t they understand we’re the ones with money to spend and more free time to spend it on things like movies? I’ve learned recently that I really enjoy stealing away a couple of hours mid-day to take myself to a movie. Why not give me more choices? HOLLYWOOD, WAKE UP!


No comments: