Sunday, July 18, 2010

Be Still My Soul


We come into this world with a huge imperfection...an enormous hole in our soul. It is our job to learn how to fill this hole. Some try to fill it with alcohol, drugs, sex, food. Others with mysticism, psychic encounters, meditation, AA, shopping, or self punishment. This book is filled with stories of the people I have encountered in my life’s journey, and how they have helped to fill the hole in my soul.









THE MAKING OF A NURSE



Grandma Grace died on August 4, 1954. I was six years old and stood outside her bedroom with my nose pressed against the window pane watching my Grandpa cry, his face in his hands.

I walked around the side of the house to the porch and found my dad holding Mom in his arms while she cried on his shoulder.

“Your grandma just passed away,” Dad said to me.

“I already know,” I replied,

Dad gave me a puzzled look, turned back to comfort my Mom.

I understood a lot despite my young age, having spent most of that summer in 1954 at my grandparent’s home while my mom and my Uncle Richard helped care for Grandma during her final days battling leukemia. I’d watched my family give Grandma pain medication, bathe her, turn her over, change her clothes, and empty the colostomy bag she’d worn for many years.

I liked that she was in her own bed in her own home. I also liked that my brother and I could go in and climb up on the bed and visit with her on the days when she felt well enough. On the days that she didn’t, I’d stand outside her window and wave. She called me her little butterfly at the window.

As sad as it was for me to lose my beloved grandmother, the way she died seemed so peaceful and natural that I’ve carried the memory of it with me my entire nursing career.

No comments: