Monday, July 19, 2010

Life Lessons

When I was now in the third grade, my new best friend, Karla Porter, happened to live in a nursing home. Her mother, Catherine, owned a big, two story house on the edge of town. The family lived in the upper story, and Catherine housed elderly patients on the first floor. Since I lived just a block away, Karla and I were in and out of the house every day. We’d wander through the hospital beds on the first floor, looking for Catherine or for something to do to keep us out of the trouble we invariably got ourselves into.


Sometimes Catherine would assign us small chores. One of those was to retrieve the eating utensils that Daisy had hidden away in her room. Daisy was an elderly woman with some kind of mental illness. She seemed to have multiple personalities, and spent most of the day carrying on conversations with these different personalities. She lived in a small bedroom that had to be kept locked to keep her from wandering off. When the utensil supply ran low, one of us girls would stand outside Daisy’s big bay window and distract her while the other one ran in the room and quickly grabbed the silverware from Daisy’s many hiding places. The one that was in charge of distracting Daisy had a big responsibility since she’d become very angry at the girl that was stealing the silver, and smack her over the head. I was usually in charge of distracting her since Karla was much faster at swiping the utensils.

Karla’s mom, Catherine, and my mom, Kathryn, were our Camp Fire Girl’s den leaders. The meetings were always held in the nursing home so Catherine wouldn’t be too far away from her charges. We spent much of our grade school years playing in the nursing home and my mom worked there occasionally when we needed some extra money. I wasn’t really surprised when years later my mom decided to become a nurse, and then Karla and I chose nursing, too.

Catherine Porter thought it was important for us to learn about all aspects of life. Later on in my life I grew to questions some of her ideas, but as children, we went along with the ride. One of those rides took Catherine, Karla, and my mother and I to the Clarinda, Iowa mental hospital grounds. It was an all day trip and I remember we didn’t even get out of the car. We parked in a parking lot and a few of the residents of the hospital who were allowed to roam the grounds, peered in the car windows at the four of us. To this day, I don’t know what the purpose of that particular field trip was, but I’m sure Catherine thought she was teaching us something important.

My family attended the First Baptist Church in Indianola, Iowa when I was a child. Church services were conservative and dignified, and our preachers were not of the evangelical type. Catherine seemed to think I was missing out on something, so when the tent preachers came to town, she would take Karla and I with her to the revivals. I guess she thought we would benefit from being saved, but no matter how many times we “went forward”, we never became “one with the spirit”.

The summer of 1962, my family moved to southern California. Later that year, Catherine sold her nursing home and moved her family to southern California, too. Catherine’s had a husband, Russell, who was more than twenty years older than her. She was the one who supported the family and made all the decisions and when she decided to move to California, they moved. Though we attended different high schools, this move made it possible for Karla and me to remain best friends and for Catherine to continue trying to give us life lessons.

She made one more attempt at “saving” us after moving to California. They lived in Artesia and Catherine found an evangelical church there and started attending regularly. One weekend when I’d slept over Saturday night, she woke us up on Sunday morning to get ready for church. We tried to protest but to no avail. We were sent to Sunday School class before the church services, and that went well. But then we were ushered over to the church and the fun began. This particular church encouraged participation by all members, and it heated up into a frenzy pretty quickly. When a very pregnant woman started speaking in tongues and fell to the floor in a quivering heap, it was too much for us. Karla and I started giggling and soon were doubled over with laughter, tears streaming down our faces. An embarrassed Catherine ushered us out as quickly as she could, and never forced us to attend church with her again.

I loved to do hair when I was in high school and soon became the hair expert. I was often called on to help my friends tease and pouf their hair into the elaborate styles of the early sixties. My friend’s mothers would also pay me to comb out their hair, tease it, and restyle it between their weekend hair appointments. By this time, Catherine had found work in a nursing home in Whittier, California. They were having a hard time finding a hairdresser to come in and do the patients hair, so she hired me. For one whole summer I posed as a hairdresser, cutting, shampooing and styling all the little gray heads in the nursing home. Now that I’m older and wiser, I realize how illegal it was, but at the time it was just a lot of fun and the little old ladies loved me.

Catherine wasn’t the only source of my introduction to nursing. In high school, I became a candy striper and worked at Whittier Presbyterian Hospital. I started out working in the central supply area, putting together admission kits for patients. The other candy stripers and I would fill plastic bags with wash basins, emesis basins, tissue boxes, Cepacol mouthwash and body lotion. The work was boring but you had to start there and prove yourself or you’d never be allowed out on the floors with actual patients. After awhile, I earned my way onto the floors. I filled water pitchers, delivered dinner trays, changed the water in flower arrangements, and had plenty of opportunities to interact with patients. I loved the atmosphere of the hospital and couldn’t wait to become a nurse.

The summer following my high school graduation was precious to me as it was the last months of my childhood. In order to enter the Registered Nursing program in September of that year, I would have to take chemistry during the summer and I preferred going to the beach and lying in the sun. My mom had gone through the Licensed Vocational Nursing program during my senior year in high school, so I decided that would be good for me, too. Karla and I applied to and were accepted into the Licensed Vocational Nursing program instead of RN training.

I was eighteen and Karla seventeen when we started our LVN training program. We dressed in our white starched blouses, yellow starched pinafores, white nurse’s cap, and white stockings and shoes and were on our way.

I’m amazed now that we were mature enough to make it through the program. Sometimes it didn’t seem that way. We were always professional and worked hard when we were out on the floor with patients, but we were in trouble a lot during our classroom hours. We found it extremely difficult to be quiet and pay attention, and did a lot of giggling and talking in class. Fortunately, each of us was the favorite of one of the instructors. The head of the program liked me, but didn’t like Karla, and one of the other instructors liked Karla, but not me. We were always being protected by someone. It also helped that we were both excellent students and quick learners and the patients we were assigned liked us, too.

One incident could have gotten both of us in really big trouble if we’d been found out. We were practicing injections in class one day. We were using large needles to draw up sterile water out of a vial and inject it into oranges in order to practice our technique. Some of the others weren’t catching on as fast as Karla and I, and we got bored pretty fast. I don’t know who started it, but we started squirting each other with the water in the syringes. I was spraying Karla and she tried to hit me. The needle jabbed into her arm and I was still pushing the plunger of the syringe. It squirted enough sterile water into her arm to raise a lump the size of a golf ball. When we realized what had happened, we looked around quickly to see if anyone noticed, then turned our attention back to the oranges.

Twelve months passed by and we graduated, took our nursing exams, and got jobs. I was nineteen and Karla eighteen then. She took a job in a nursing home and I went to work at a one thousand bed rehabilitation hospital operated by Los Angeles County. My education really began there.

No comments: