Thursday, July 22, 2010

Tehama Grace, A Novel

This novel is being posted chapter by chapter on http://www.textnovel.com/. It's free to sign up to read books on this site, and they don't send you spam by email or share your email with anyone else. If the first part I'm posting here interests you, please check it out on Textnovel.
September 1863


Hot dry air blew across the flat expanse of land. A dust devil whirled toward us but made a quick turn before showering me and Pa with debris. September in California was a poor time to be traveling, especially since much of the time we were walking. I was just fourteen years old when we made the trip. It would change my life.

I stopped to readjust the coolie hat I was wearing to keep the sun from hitting my face and gave silent thanks to the Chinese woman who'd given it to me days before when we’d left Coloma. Mother always told me to be careful not to ruin my pale complexion with too much sun. Even though she wasn’t with me, I could still hear her saying, "You have the best combination of creamy white skin, black hair, and sky blue eyes."

"Pa, I can't go any farther. It's too hot in midday. Can't we rest under a shade tree until evening?"

"No Emily Grace, we cain't. We're nigh about there I 'spect according to the directions the rancher gave us a ways back." Pa took a rag from his pocket and mopped his brow. "We got to keep on 'til we find water to quench our thirst."

I knew Pa was right so I forced myself to stand tall, brushed the dust from my brown muslin skirt, tied the hat tighter under my chin, and trudged onward. I still didn't know why we were heading for the town of Vina in Tehama County. I’d been happy living in the gold camp along Sutter Creek, but Pa had suddenly pulled up stakes and away we went. I didn't know when we would be going back. My stomach churned with worry that I'd never see Mother again.

I wondered why Pa didn't tell me anything. After all, I was practically grown up.

"Daughter! Here're the tracks. Get your head out of the clouds," Pa said, shifting the pack he carried on his shoulder and stepping up onto the railroad tracks.

Picking my way carefully along the railroad ties, I followed behind him.

"Pa? How is Mother going to know where we are when she gets back to Coloma?"

I thought I saw his shoulders tense at my question but he didn't answer, so I wasn't sure he'd heard. "Pa?"

"I heard you, girl. Yer Ma ain't comin' back," he said, turning towards me, his blue eyes flashing in anger.

"What do you mean?" My breath was coming in short gasps and my stomach had tightened into a hard knot.

"She up'n left for San Francisco with our gold three months ago. She'd a been back by now if she had a coming back plan. She's livin' high on the hog in old Yerba Buena now, I expect." He turned his back to me and resumed walking down the railroad tracks.

"But Pa, Mother would never leave us. She loves us. Something must have gone wrong. Aren't we going to San Francisco to look for her?"

Silence.

"Pa?"

"Hush, girl."

No comments: