Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Count your blessings.

I woke up at 5:45 AM, worked out with Al and the "girls", walked the dog, showered and dressed, and drove to the "mandatory meeting" at Kaiser. I'd been able to grab a cup of coffee, nuke some soy bacon, and read a bit of the paper before I drove to work, so I already knew Kaiser was laying off 1800 people in California. 1200 in Northern California, and 600 in Southern. I had a good idea that's what the meeting was about.

I was right. The administration staff announced that positions had to be eliminated due to the lack of growth in membership Kaiser has had since 2005. Three positions in the hospice department were being eliminated. None of them clinical staff. All administrative and support staff. What does this mean to us? The clinical staff will now be working even harder to absorb the duties previously performed by those individuals. And you know what? We're all happy to do it if it means we're still working. We'd already lost about 20 clinical staff earlier in the year. We know the drill. Smile and keep on keeping on.

But what about the 1800 people that are now without jobs? I and those around me left the meeting with a heavy heart knowing there were others that are now with out a job. I hope they all have some sort of a backup plan. I hope their significant others are employed. I hope, I hope, things turn around soon for all of us.

No comments: