Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Boomers: Choices

I drive five hundred miles alone

With the music I love feeding my soul

And I find myself again

Tucked away in a corner of my heart

For safekeeping

There I am

Curled into a ball of disappointment

Wrapped in the shell of someone I don't really know

Waiting

Choices I've made

Roads I've taken

It's too late now

But I wish I'd known

How far they were taking me from the girl I once was

Once upon a time

I was fearless

I didn't bow to anyone

Even as a tiny child

I said I'll do it myself

When did I allow someone else to take over

How do I get my life back before it's too late

I wonder

How did I come to the point

Where safe was the way to go

I vowed

I'd never be one of those

No, not me

I wouldn't give up on myself

I was far too strong

I knew it wasn't the right thing to do

And yet, here I am

Having done exactly the thing I said I wouldn't

Where do I go from here

How do I gather the strength to say

Enough, I've had enough

I'm taking my power back

If that means I'm alone, then so be it

And so, a small fire starts to burn inside

A flicker of hope

Maybe it's not too late

I may still have time

To become the person I want to be.

No comments: