Monday, May 30, 2011

DECORATION DAY


When I was a child growing up in Iowa, Memorial Day was called Decoration Day. Decoration Day started after the Civil War to honor those that died during that war. Somewhere along the way it became Memorial Day. On that special day, the females in the family rose at dawn to pick flowers from gardens, arrange them in jars and tin cans that had been covered with fabric, and load them into the car for the trip to the cemeteries. Then they would pack a big picnic basket of food to take with us. Everyone climbed into the car and off we'd go to every cemetery within driving distance where our ancestors were buried. And there were lots of them, on both sides of my family. At each stop, Mom or Grandma-when she was alive-would choose the appropriate flower bouquets and we'd tend each grave. Tending meant pulling any stray weeds away, tossing old dried up flowers or plants, arranging the fresh ones, then reminiscing about the people buried there. This is how I've learned most of my family history. Traveling from grave to grave, hearing stories of pioneers traveling from the east coast to Iowa to make their homes. I also heard stories about the military service of my ancestors, even back to the American Revolution. I can close my eyes right now and see myself standing amongst those graves. To me it was beautiful, and an event I looked forward to all year.

Now, Decoration Day is Memorial Day, and more than remembering and honoring those that have gone before us, it's a day to gather friends together to barbeque, drink, and celebrate the unofficial beginning of summer. I've talked with other boomers who used to visit cemeteries, but our children have little interest in doing so. Too bad we've lost that tradition.

Thank you to all those service members who have honored us all by serving in our military. 

No comments: