Sunday, May 15, 2011

FREE BOOK: CORNFLOWER BLUE


Chapter 1

     Alone on the platform, Misty Dawn James watched the Amtrak train she’d just disembarked pull away from California’s Fullerton Station and disappear into the night. This was supposed to be the beginning of her new life, and she’d never felt so alone. 

     The train station parking lot was crowded with cars circling for spaces, and Misty found it difficult to maneuver while carrying her bags.

     “You look a bit lost. Would you like some help?”

     Misty jumped, startled. She hadn’t heard anyone approach. “I...I’m looking for a pay phone.”

     “Where are you going?”

     Misty was unable to answer for a moment. The strikingly handsome, tall young man standing in front of her caught her off guard. He had black hair, dark brown eyes, and a sparkling white smile.

     She pointed in the direction of The Old Spaghetti Factory. “The ticket clerk in the train station said there was a phone in the restaurant.”

     “You don’t want to carry those bags over there. Use my cell phone.”

     He handed her his phone, and waited patiently.

     “Are you sure? I’ll pay you.”

     The young man laughed. “You don’t need to pay me. I have no social life since I’m always either at school or work, so I have lots of minutes I never use.”

     Misty took a piece of paper from her pocket and dialed the number written on it. She listened to it ring several times and was about to give up when it was finally answered.

     “Aunt Marigold? I’m here. Can you come get me?” Misty asked.

     “Where the hell are you? Your parents are going crazy with worry.”

     “In California. I’m at the train station in Fullerton.”

     “The train? Why didn’t you fly?”

     Misty turned away so the young man wouldn’t hear her and whispered into the phone. “I wanted to see the countryside, that’s why. I’ve never been out of Iowa.”

     “Why didn’t you tell your parents where you were going? And why didn’t you give me some warning?” Marigold didn’t wait for an answer. “Never mind. I’ll be right there and you can tell me the whole story when we get you home.”

     Misty handed the cell phone back to the handsome man. “Thanks a lot. My aunt is coming to pick me up.”

     “You’re welcome. Wait over there under the light so you’ll be safe. I would wait with you but I have to go start my shift.”

     Misty felt a shiver of apprehension flood over her. “Should I be worried about being out here alone?”

     “Your eyes are as big as saucers. You look scared out of your wits.”

     Misty swallowed hard before speaking. “I’ve never been in a big city. I kind of grew up sheltered. Is it dangerous here?”

     “Not really. Fullerton is safe, but you kind of stand out.”

     “What do you mean by that?”

     “Actually, you look innocent and kinda vulnerable with all your suitcases and bags piled around.” He touched her shoulder and gave it a little squeeze. “Look, if your aunt doesn’t show or anything, come and get me. Just ask for Esteban. I’m sorry I have to go.”

     Misty watched him jog across the parking lot towards The Old Spaghetti Factory. When she couldn’t see him any longer, she lugged her bags back to the sidewalk under the light to wait for her aunt.

If you would like to read more, visit my website at www.kathypratt.org and send me your contact information. The first 25 people to respond will be sent a free copy of Cornflower Blue.


No comments: