Friday, November 9, 2012

OBAMA AGAIN?!




     November 6, 2012 has come and gone and Obama was reelected for another 4 years. Some of us are pleased, some not so much. While out for a walk with Rex this morning he reminded me of a funny encounter I’d had prior to the November 6, 2008 election.
     Rex had been out of town and was flying in to Ontario airport. I was waiting to pick him up and his plane was delayed. Not wanting to park in the parking lot to wait for him, I’d driven around the airport several times. Finally, I tired of that and decided to pull to the curb to wait.
     Now we all know there’s no waiting at the curb, but this was Ontario airport and I’m a blonde older woman in a red convertible. No one would profile me as a terrorist. I sat there awhile listening to music and waiting for my phone to ring and Rex to tell me he was on his way out.
     Then I looked in my side mirror. An airport policeman had just pulled up behind me and was opening his car door. I watched him get out. He was a large Hispanic man and looked rather cranky. Oops. I put my car in gear, rolled my window down, put my arm out and waved bye-bye to him. He was not amused. He put his hand up in the stop position and walked to the car.
     I said, “Officer, I’m very sorry. I know I’m not supposed to stop here but my husband’s plane is late and I’m tired of driving in circles. I’ll move now.”
     Officer said, “There are posted signs. Did you see them?”
     I said, “Yes. I know the rules. I’m VERY sorry and I’ll never do it again.”
     He stared me down. Then he said, “I should give you a ticket for wearing that OBAMA pin.”
     I clapped my hand over the pretty rhinestone pin I was wearing and said again, “Really, I’m sorry.”
     He stared some more and then said, “Okay. I’m letting you off this time, but you need to go over and park in the lot.”
     I said, “Okay, thank you officer. Have a wonderful day.”
     As I drove off and continued driving around the airport in circles (yes, I usually do what I want to do rather than what I’m told to do) I couldn’t help but wonder how Obama had lost that Hispanic vote?

No comments: